Wednesday, July 11, 2007

July Post

I noticed I had yet to post in July. It has been a busy month already, although the Ultimate is lacking. We moved pick up in Ames back to 6 pm, hoping to get better turnout. There was also the usual summer e-mail sent out about pick-up kind of sucking. It has been somewhat better, but no where near where it should be given the overall quality of Ultimate players we have. Last night, I had a woodworking class instead of going to pick up. I'm making a cutting board.

I went to Freedom Fest this last weekend. On the city: Duluth seemed like an awesome community- very outdoorsy, hippy, and lots of dogs (not just at the tournament, either). On the tournament: Team America, the open team Gibbs, Tai, and I played on placed 3/4. I have to hand it to Gibbs and Tai, they certainly have the legs to run the guys on offense, and stay with them on D- even getting a couple of Ds. I played pretty mediocre defense, even though I was trying pretty hard. I am screwed in women's if my player goes deep (shouldn't be saying this in a public forum!), so in open, it is doubly so. I hate playing behind my guy- it didn't help if they actually cut deep, and while I could be there to mark, had no chance at cutting off any in cuts. I can turn pretty quick, but in a dead sprint, I am not really in the "fast" category. In women's, I think my strength lies in the fact that my speed at the end of Sunday is usually right with my Saturday morning speed, and in each point I can cut and cut and cut (or am getting back to that ability). Normally I could get open and move the disc on offense, so that was bolstering. I think I had one drop and one throwing TO, but probably more throwing turns than that. Yep, I just thought of 2 more that I don't know if they were my throw or receiver error, but could definitely have been better. I had plenty of throws that most likely would have been TOs in women's, but athleticism rescued them. Thanks, Team! To do: fix your damn throws (not probably easy after 8 years of Ultimate). Oh, I had one partial handblock that probably would have been a score if I hadn't deflected it mostly out of bounds (the offense almost made an amazing toe-drag catch). Yea, hard marks! I didn't know Ian was really good. He is; I hope he revives UNI's program and makes it competitive.

Update on my pepper plant: it is back! No blooms, yet, but it is over a foot high. Feel free to send chile rejeno recipes!

I had a conversation with Jake last night about losing weight. I kept coming up with excuses for not jumping on his idea to do 20-40 minutes of excercise in my "target" heart rate (134) three times a week. Then I remembered the actual reason: TIME! I do sprints on M & F, play Ultimate on T,W,R, and the weekend. I am starting to work out twice a day to get a distance run in. I think when it comes to Ultimate, time spent trying to lose weight would be better put to use throwing or running. This is for me, personally. This suggestion is also coming from the guy that thought I was silly for running at 6:45 this morning. Oh, and my heart just totally overpowers my legs. After my bike ride this morning, my heart rate was 98- that is with a hill at the end and my inner quads hollering for me to quit. After my 2 mile run it was 112. What the hell am I going to do hard enough for even 20 minutes?!! I could keep up that 2 mile pace for 20 minutes, maybe push it a little faster (after the first 3/4 mile when my legs quit bitching about being sore from Monday's plyos), and I really don't think I'll top 120. Besides which, I tend to "reward" good workouts with things like cheeseburgers and ice cream. So, if I want to lose weight (yes, Jake, I'm sure a 5 pound lighter Rachel might gain a step in a long point against Fat Rachel on Sunday), I think it will have to come with a change in mindset: ease up on the beer and pizza ridden weekends, stock up on fruit and veggies, learn to say NO! However, if I can fit in three 20 minute sessions of "something" during the week, it needs to be throwing. I played some of the best (and most consistent) D of my life in Boston, and I think it will get even hotter. I also lead the team in turnovers, I'm sure. No stats needed, I threw a lot away- most were good ideas, but craptastic throws. I've said it before, and I'll say it again,"I have the worst throws of any handler I've ever seen." But such good ideas! :)

Women's practice this weekend in The Cities. I've got big plans. I'll let you know what happens.

1 comment:

ellsworthless said...

You playeed really well this weekend, along with Gibbs and Tai. I really also like having you on the side line to help me out, even though sometimes I don't greet it with smiles or enthusiasm. I especially enjoy it, when I am playing like I was this weekend.

Iain is really good. I have been a fan for awhile now as well. It is great to have a couple of guys that are always open, like Iain and Dunlay.

There is not enough time to condition. I wish that I would not have signed up for summer league. Though, I suppose it is a way to give back to the ultimate community.