Tuesday, October 9, 2007

10 seed isn't so bad....

I don't really have time to post as I have an experiment starting tomorrow with the lambies, but....

Small Rackages is going to Nationals. No exclamation point not due to lack of excitement, but because I expected it. RSD preliminary seedings put us at 8 at the highest (and not by name, just "Central #1), usually around 10. Looks like (again) the central has to go earn some respect. I think we're up to it. Here is a little bit of the sting in the lower seed:

While Boston was the only time we got to play Layuma or Lady Godiva we ROLLED them, mostly with our athleticism; our speed just couldn't be matched by these older teams (I mean that respectfully). Ozone barely scraped a win over Layuma, and lost to them the day before (but, hey, it could be a lot different team). Our big loss to Brute Squad came in the 2nd round of pool play at Boston- that would be the game I (the captain) got there for the last 3 or 4 points due to flight mishaps. Many of the girls had met each other hours before (that's literal-I didn't meet some of them until after the Brute Squad game). The next day, we lost 11-15; pretty respectable. I've no doubt the Brute deserves to be ahead of us, but are they 5-7 spots higher? We then lost the 3/4 game to Backhoe on universe point. Backhoe, granted, was missing a few key players to injury, but our #1 handler & my co-captain had to take off for flights (someday you will learn, little Sheldahl). Just sayin'. But then, I am really just there because I LOVE to play Ultimate and this will be 4 days of matching up against some of the best players in the country- THAT is what I love, that is why I play.

And, as Jon said, there isn't that much difference in the pools for the 8/9/10 seeds. The women's division looks quite a bit stronger, with less parity overall this year (I think). We'll see how it all shakes down. Although, Jon also said "It is because the central teams never do well." My quick (and slightly heated) response: "Except my teams. My teams do well."

Oh, and Jon has the sweetest money throw I won't name here in case of those spies that are worried about the VBBs. He played awesome on Sunday, and was just one among many that were the reason The Van Buren Boys played the best games ever on Sunday. It was so sweet to finally see what they could really do. I will gloat a little by saying: I knew you could do it. Wolfpack leader M.E. has just crazy play after crazy play. Barrett ruled the skies. Stu Jack & Wimer handled like pros; I particularly like whatever it was that Wimer shoved towards Dave's chest in the Madcow game- I dont' even think there is a name for that pass. I was then wont to state, "That guy can complete ANYTHING!"

Money plays in the Rackages final that stand out: Gibbs fingertip D at 13-12 to save the tie score; Kalli's fingertip grab about 22 feet in the air which caused me to hyperventilate; Lana's 75 yard huck to Tai (upwind); Matey's awesome cheer. My team rocks, and we'll be rockin' it in Sarasota in a couple weeks.

3 comments:

ellsworthless said...

Thanks for the sideline support Dersch. I love it.

When I heard your field erupt into celebration over making it to Nationals, it gave me a much bigger drive to beat BAT. I think it affected everyone on the team, really.

808 said...

"staying under the radar" doesn't mix well with "posts on RSD". The lower the expectations the more the heads will turn when you bust through the big teams.

See you in a couple weeks.

More throwing.

Robin said...

rack-a who? Iowa is going to bring the storm to Nationals and the central region will never be looked at the same way when this year is done.

You can count on some friendly sideline yelling from yours truely!

see you in Florida