Thursday, May 29, 2008

What's Love Got to Do With It?

Ultimate, we've been through a lot together. We've had our ups: starting the ISU women's team, placing 2nd at Nationals after being seeded 10th, making Nationals after being down 9-12 in the game to go and the other team dropping it in the endzone, going down under for Worlds, going to Nationals as a club women's team, getting chosen for the College Alumni All Star team, too many Poutlry Days too remember.....the list goes on and on. We've had our downs: losing about 17 games to go that first year of CLX at regionals, losing too many 1 point games at Worlds, debilitating IT band and lower back injuries, concussions (but only 1 serious one, and I forgave you), only playing 3 of 5 of my college regionals, only beating one club women's team at Nationals....but even those memories draw us closer- they made me work harder to be better, push me to overcome prior failures.

Not just the momentous occasions but all the regular good times we've had with people- it hasn't been just you and me, but all the people we've met together- played with, played against, partied with, cheered on. Wow. There have been weddings, a few births, plenty of people to teach and to learn from, people to set both negative and positive examples, people to rejoice at seeing at each tournament.

You changed my life. You made me what I am today; I can hardly bear the thought of leaving you, even for a few years. But you've become an obsession. That was okay for most of college, but I've come to a point where brains (at least, my brains) aren't enough. I need more time, and, babe, unfortunately, you're all I have to give; it's only ever really been school and Ultimate, since school got serious. And let's face reality- together, you and I can't pay the bills. School can do that for me; it sounds mercenary, but it is just realistic- we can't live together in some idealistic fairy castle, with green grass, a light breeze, and lined fields. I can't live in a trailer my whole life, I just can't!

We can still be friends! No, really! We can meet casually each week for pick up or league, but after this summer, well, that has to change, too. This will be our last, bittersweet summer- hopefully I can take away memories (all of them) of a wonderful Poultry Days with people from throughout our time together, people that have been there with us since the beginning: Kevin, Saienga, Chad; people we made some of those good times with: the CLXers, both old and new; and maybe even some new teammates: Wimer & Jerrod Wolfe. Maybe we can share a summer league title, finally: it can be the Summer of Chocolate. And then, in the fall, well, we need to make a more severe split. We can come back together, as professionals, to coach in the spring, but then, well....it may REALLY be over, at least for a time.

I can't tell you how sorry I am that school and a career had to come between us. It isn't just the time you take to play, or even to train, but I love you so much that if I am playing you, I can't get you out of my head- I'll be focusing my microscope when suddenly my pulse jumps as I relive the D I missed at the last tournament, or the one I got, or even visualize the perfect, game winning D. I am thinking of training schedules and travel logistics when I need to be learning a skill to make my way in the world.

So, this is the pre-goodbye, the adjustment period for us to cherish and hopefully to look back upon with peace. I'll never stop loving you.-RJD

8 comments:

Coach Lou said...

Dear Ultimate -- It's not you, it's Rachel. :)

Liz M. C. S. said...

I hope you can still handle being SC? PLEASE?!

Dear Sectionals-

You make me crazy. Totally insane. Every September I'm mean to everyone around me, I stamp my foot like a 6 year old, and I swear I'm so over this nonsense. I would never make it if I didn't have good Sectional Coordinators to keep it all under control and to shield me from your worst horrors. I hate you. But I love my West Plains Sectional Coordinator.

Eat it,
Your Regional Coordinator

jimmy said...

Don't see this as the end of a relationship, but instead the fruition of a relationship reaching its golden years. You are just now the retired married couple living in a condo in the keys that sleep in different rooms because his snoring keeps you up and you getting up every 5 minutes to go pee is driving him crazy. You don't really talk anymore because you have said everything over the past lifetime. If he spends all day fishing while you play bridge, that's okay too. This doesn't mean the love is gone, and who knows maybe once a year you'll load up the winnebago and go see the grandkids.

If you hated ultimate, this would be the end. Loving ultimate and not playing is just maturing.

love always
jimmy

ps. I will never quit playing because I am a "true" addict.

Brendan Curran said...

Ha. Shawn and I just had a phone conversation on this very subject a few days ago.

Nicely worded, Rachel. Don't worry--you aren't alone.

Unknown said...

Rachel. Since I've joined the area ultimate scene, I've come to admire and respect your mad skills and humble attitude towards people who lack your mad skills. It's an honor to be on your team for what may be your last stint in ultimate. We'll have a lot of fun!

Melissa Jo Gibbs said...

I know, I know...I should have been one of the FIRST ones to comment. I couldn't really. It broke my heart to read this. Through all my years of ultimate (four starting five soon:) I fed off of the entity of Rachel Derscheid. To know and to have it spelled out just how the love is waning or at least has to, means that I will lose the guidance that let me become the greater parts of the ultimater I am today. I learned all I know from you! I swear it! No Rachel Derscheid would have meant no Ultimate for me! Selfishness aside, it makes sense. For I ponder my future in Ultimate each season. When will I say "that's it, I'm done?" "When will I have to?" Well, I respect your choices although I hate to see them be made. Nonetheless, you are still one of my good friends so it's not like I'll lose you or anything:) Much love!

Seth said...

It was a sad moment in my life when you were taken to the hospital at Nationals a couple years ago. The thing that really bothered me was the thought that if we didn't pull through without you, it could be the last time we would stand on the same field together. I rejoice that it didn't work out that way. I've cherished the time together, I share your sentiment on the observation of the facts of growing up, and I hope I'll still see you at Poultry Days in the years to come. If not, there's always the next wedding (Dave/Abby?)
-Seth

Warrior Princess said...

Dave/Abby March 08!!!!