Friday, June 22, 2007

Up and Coming

I've been meaning to post, but have been busy- working out, a class on DNA techniques, and recently a tortoise kidney slide to examine and diagnose. This weekend is Boston, as in The Boston Invitational. We've got 20 women, 11 of whom are trying out. I don't know how many we're taking, I have never had to cut anyone before, but all I can really think about is how THIS weekend will be the prelude to many more awesome weekends of Ultimate this summer and fall. I am stronger and faster than I was even 2 weeks ago, and Tuesday I found the mentality I want for this weekend. There is apparently some girl in Minnesota that I need to take out a hit on for messing up Solarz' hand; I hope she can still play. PDays. It deserves its own post, but alas, probably won't get it. I played very mediocorely, hopefully due to dreadful overconsumption of intoxicants and lack of sleep. Someday I will play sober and unhungover at PDays. It wasn't this year. As noted on Kev's blog, special props to MVPs Matt Ellsworth and Lana Meyer. It is great to have M.E. on the field- we have so many "old" guys/gals, that although we all love to play, Matt is still in that first puppy love infatuation with Ultimate that is refreshing to see. He has a real passion for the sport which really shows, especially on defense. Lana was unstoppable, especially on Sunday in the last 2 games. She also got multiple discs I thought she would miss or drop (no offense, Lana-some of those throws sucked). She also had some nice hucks and only was overly trigger-happy a couple times. That kind of play is much of what I'm hoping for this weekend- good ideas, a little risk to make it spicy, and receivers correcting for thrower error. The last ingredient would be a big layout D from someone, anyone early in the first game, just to get us started. From then on, it should be a chain reaction-somebody just needs to start the chain. I hope it's me. Safe travels to those leaving today- see you in Boston.

1 comment:

Melissa Jo Gibbs said...

Boston write-up is coming! When I was really in the thick of it last night the power went out in the MU and I was basically out of power myself after that. Sometime soon I swear!