Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Weekend Ultimate

I did not intend to play Ultimate last weekend. It was someone else's idea; in fact, I wanted to run errands, etc. But The People spoke, saying Ultimate was what they wanted. We had an intense game of 4s on Saturday where we were trying to focus on pushing the disc up the field, and cutting as soon as we threw, so as not to leave the receiver with no one to throw to downfield. We did a pretty good job of it, and I must say, 4s is tiring. I had a really close layout D bid on Huckett that really pissed me off- it felt like in open where I know what is going to happen, see it, turn as fast as I can, and still come up a step short. A couple of ladies had to leave after the scrimmage, but the rest persevered: 2 "games" of hotbox (to 1), wherein the highlight was older Meyer taking out the younger in hilarious fashion. I think we also did the "drill" where you try to get 10 passes inside a 10 yd x 10yd box- it is really tiring. The Lana, Noelle, Huckett (I think) combo came within a pass of defeating the Derscheid, Gibbs, Natalie trio, who really looked like they wanted to lose for awhile- a stint of 1 or 2 pass TOs and D always a step behind. Nat tipped away a lot of throws (on D), while Lana ran my ass ragged. Sunday we had 5s and a sub, and what a difference it made. We played a game to 11, then a game to 9. It was windier on Sunday, and there were quite a few more tuenovers, but also a lot of nice layout grabs/bids. Jane Ly had some especially nice ones. I had one bid where I thought I collapsed a lung, which would be fine if I had caught the disc. It was a nice pass Lana had made (in the sense that I could catch it but my defender couldn't), but I paused before turning to run it down to ponder grabbing it in the air (yeah, right, Dersch), so missed it by a few inches. My lung reinflated, but I've got some sore ribs. At about 4-3 there were many calls to end the game at 7, partially because the vBBoys had finished and headed to lunch, partially because people were really starting to tire. It was the 2nd resaon that made me keep the game to 9. I was really close to giving in, then thought, what if this is the Boston final? I'm glad we played to nine, and at least a coule girls said they were glad I made them do it. I got 1 thing on my list done, laundry, the rest I will have to try to cram into this week. Evening festivities were fun- I won at Cricket in darts, which was truly amazing. I thought I was improving, but then we played partner 501 and Jon and I really sucked- i think we were 150-200 points behind at the end. Jon is usually really good, so I blame him.

Sprints yesterday: 5 sets of 2 bleachers in Jack Trice Stadium (home of the most dominant mascot on earth, Cy the Cyclone, who is actually a Cardinal) with 2 jump plyos between each set. I can hardly wait to go back. It really was inspiring to be in Jack Trice, which is funny because I don't particularly care to watch football and haven't been to a game since my freshman year of undergrad....8 years ago. The grass is NICE, and I would love to play a game on it. My quads, abs, and calves are pretty sore today (understatement).

OH! I got the newest sample skirt yesterday! I like it! I am taking it to practice today for women to try it out. If we choose it, it will be the first time in about 6 years that I will wear shorts under my skirt- they are attached. I had originally planned to remove them, but I LIKE them! They are like mesh spandex stuff and make the inside of my thighs feel kind of giggly- I was too tired to run around in them last night as i checked my mail post-sprints. I'll keep you updated.

Last item of note: I am making Carrots Au Gratin tonight, freestyle. And I plan on getting a layout D tonight at pick up, if my calves will agree to it.

No comments: