Friday, June 1, 2007

A Sad Day

I got this Anaheim pepper plant that I was really excited about because I could then make my own chili rellenos. This is my absolute favorite Mexican dish- It is a big mildly spicy pepper stuffed with melty Mexican cheese, battered, fried, and drenched in a smooth salsa. I got hooked on it at La Fuente, but they started doing something weird- putting what appears to be instant mashed potatoes inside the pepper with the cheese. Wha'? Yeah, I don't get it either. I tried it 3 times thinking it was a fluke each time. Sigh. Anyway, on Wed. night Gibbs, JC, DK, and I went to a Mexican place in Des Moines after a very rainy, pretty fun pick-up. The enchilada sauce sucked (it tasted like canned tomato sauce, like Chef Boyardee), but the chili relleno was awesome AND I saved half of it for lunch yesterday. So I was really excited yesterday about my pepper plant (it is coming back around, now) and thinking how maybe I should look up some recipes, and day-dreaming about handbattering that first delicious cheese-filled beauty. I don't look up recipes as I think it will make me too impatient for my little plant to produce- I don't want to put undue pressure on it. Fast-forward to 4:45: I arrive home and have a lawn-mowing notice on my door (I never mow until they threaten me with a fine- I am a busy person). For those not aware, I live in a trailer park with a postage stamp-sized yard, about 1/3 of which refuses to grow grass, the rest of which grows weird ground cover with clumps of weeds. So I use a plug in weed eater to mow the whole thing. I start weed-eating, and work carefully around my tomatoes- there are already green ones on the vine, I don't want to damage them. My pepper plant is nestled between 2 tomato plants. Or, it was. I think I mowed over my pepper plant 3 times before I realized it. I may be a retarded spaz. Sympathy is welcome and appreciated.

3 comments:

Melissa Jo Gibbs said...

I've heard you talk about the plant many times before. I look forward to a hopeful reincarnation of the little guy. Here's hoping...

Unknown said...

oh (pause) my (pause) god. if you didn't mow your lawn with an electric weed-eater, i'd love you less.

i'll pick you up some proper chiles when i'm in NM, not all is lost.

ellsworthless said...

More ultimate please.