Monday, April 30, 2007

St. Louis Classic & Good News

So I played with One Trick Pony, Jimmy's new co-ed team from St. Louis, last weekend. We ended up second to a team from Chicago (I should probably know the name, but I don't). They had some players from Machine and Nemesis. We had 4 women for most of Saturday and 5 for Sunday, but all were high quality women (Me, Abby Doriani, Jenny (Jimmy's fiancee), Amy Sheldahl, Lauren (formerly from Truman)). We didn't really all have to work hard until the final, and then most of the women on that team were tough. I wasn't so much tired at the end of the day as tired during each point after the first few cuts. I had a couple of layout Ds (yea, me!) and a few good grabs on O, but definitely could up my game. On double game point in the finals I layed out for the winning score and caught it....but a few inches out of bounds. I should have layed out forward! And there was one layout D in the endzone that I bid for and was actually TOO HIGH. Yeah, as in, I layed out far enough and my hand went over the top of the disc. Son of a..... I don't think of myself as a defensive player, but I'm not really a good thrower. Hmmmm....... And I had some poor throws in the final (3 really bad ones come to mind). BUT I hit the dirt a lot, and it felt good. I am still thinking this could be my best year of Ultimate yet. Oh, and today I am less sore than anticipated. Amy Sheldahl had her normal speedy long cuts for some good catches in the endzone. I was impressed with Lauren's play on both sides of the disc. Jenny has really great hands and is fast- I am really glad she is finally playing competitive Ultimate; she got some Ds I didn't expect. Doriani was solid, as always. I REALLY hope we get a bid to Boston and that we have enough women to go! And I really hope the Van Buren Boys go, too. That would be a blast! Draw back of the weekend: JC pulled his groin again. Oh, and Saturday night we went to City Museum, which is like a giant jungle gym made of metal for adults. It is multiple stories, has slides, crawl spaces, old airplanes to climb in, and swinging ropes. I think Lana and Kevin would have loved it, and they almost for sure would have tipped the scales in the final (not a guilt trip, just an observation).

Good News: Truman State beat Texas 14-10 to take the only bid to Nationals out of the south region!!! We have 3-5 ladies that will be playing Rackages this summer that are currently on TSUnami. I am thinking about having our May practice down in Kirksville, and maybe taking the Iowa State women down and having a round robin tournament, maybe mix it up a little. I think that many quality female players in one place HAS to be good for any Ultimate player. Iowa State has regionals this coming weekend, so I'll be thinking of them and wishing them the best. You should, too.

No comments: