Monday, August 13, 2007

Sprints in Colorado

This last weekend I flew to CO not to play Ultimate, but to visit a friend from undergrad. There was some great catching up, reminiscing, and some AMAZING overeating of delicious treats. Also, since I had to fly out Friday afternoon, I had to do last weeks sprints on Saturday, at something like 4800 feet with about 2% humidity. You'd think that would be good, but I decided I would rather sweat than lose all the epithelium lining my throat from the dryness. I did the split 500s by myself; the only way I got through the last 200 was chanting "Sarasota" in time to the pounding of my feet on the track. There was a man in probably his 70s at the track that was long jumping. I talked to him a bit, and he was training. I thought that was pretty cool.

Food highlights: grilling- cook it on a flame, I will like it. The Melting Pot- never been? It is a fondue place. They give you a PLATTER of meat to cook in a pot of bubbling stuff and then have an array of 10-15 sauces to dip it in. I LIVE for sauce!!! I thought I was going to le Blanc myself afterwards, no kidding. For dessert, a pot fo chocolate with STUFF (Bailey's & pecans for my table) in it and an array of dippers: strawberries, bananas, cheesecake, bronie, pound cake, rice crispie treats; unbelievable. It is about $50/person, tho'. Oh, and then I got GELATO! It was good, almost as good as Perth- I could have eaten disgusting amounts of it, but just ate my own and 2/3 of J's (she never finishes her food...we make a great friends).

Practice weekend on the 4-5: FUN. The play was mediocre at times, although my team came back from an 0-5 deficit (which was mostly my fault) to win 9-7 or 8-6 (game to 7, win by 2). Besides the Brendas/Debbie/Sarahh combo and the late night religion (I wish I had a recording of that conversation....it would have some hilarious quotes), highlights: eating MASSIVE amounts of delicious pizza, Solarz' near expulsion story (Cooler will be the near-arrest story, Yay!), still being hungover at 1 pm, calling Matt and Kara, Thai kitchen and its array of currys. Sweet, delicious curry. It is my current favorite food.

I'd like to know who thinks we won't win Regionals....I am glad they think that because proving people wrong is one of my favorite activities. But still, be serious: look at results so far, look at our players, know that we will only improve with each tournament. Competition brings out the best in us, so I'm glad that somebody thinks we'll have some. (I do, too; I just think we will prevail.)

Workouts this week should be good; they include a women's practice. I am looking forward to Cooler. School starts in ONE WEEK! I have assignments already, and I am really looking forward to all the new women that will come out to Ultimate. This could be THE year for Iowa State; gurad against burnout and inner turmoil, vets. Feed off of the young'uns enthusiasm, love your teammates to the best of your ability. I think having Rackages around will be a GREAT opportunity for those younger gals to see what they could be; I want to be that player, I want to be that team that inspires. And all it takes is love. Love of plastic. Sweet, now I am pumped for plyos tonight!

No comments: